Monday, January 21, 2013

Freebie - French Quick Response Slips

Happy Manic Monday!  I've got a little freebie for you today, that I used last year as a bit of an incentive for students to be on time & settled in, which worked well thanks to the help of YouTube, and other online sources.  Think "Bellwork" but with a visual twist.
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

(Note: I don't recommend trying this if you're on a cart.  It needs to be set up before the students arrive since the idea is to get them settled in & capture their interest.)

I would show a short (30 second to 3 minute) video clip or display an interesting French image. Then I'd ask a fairly simple question either based on the visual or inspired by it. (Often they would be personal questions with no real wrong answer... to promote the idea that effort = success.)

An example of one thing I used was this video.

After, I removed the chart paper covering the question which I already had on the blackboard...

"Selon toi, quelle est la meilleure raison d'apprendre une autre langue?"


All answers submitted went into a monthly draw by class for a visit to our tuck shop.  Here's the raffle ticket that I used.
Mme Aiello - French Response Ticket Freebie
Graphic Frame by Ashley Hughes (www.theschoolsupplyaddict.com)Image on ticket from MS Clip Art Gallery



Since I felt a little guilty about using so much paper for my seven and a half classes, to be a little bit more "green", I used our Risograph machine and copied high volumes on the back of "GOOS" paper. (That's what we call paper that's already been used, but on one side only - aka Good On One Side instead of the less cool-sounding "scrap paper")

You could also use this freebie as an exit ticket related to a more content-specific question or to have students ask a clarifying question which could be part of the review next period.

I hope you find a use for it!


7 comments:

  1. Hi, visiting from Manic Monday. I like this idea! Thanks for sharing it. And, I love your blog background & header area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much... my blog is STILL a work in progress, but it's a labour of love! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I am also visiting from Manic Monday....not quite what I need in K, but my daughter teaches 8th grade. I am sharing it with her.

    Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Terri! Even if she doesn't teach French, hopefuly she can in turn pass the link along to any French teachers she knows.

      (Sometimes those of us who teach specialty subjects feel a little alone in the wilderness!)

      Delete
  3. You could mix it up with this video too :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOTpIVxji8

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS funny! I didn't see this comment until just now! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a food or travel unit - or ust for fun - you could use the Steve Martin clip from Pink Panther! (I used it as a fun little minds on activity with Au Casse-Croûte unit!) It's about three minutes long.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=uvpikUEIaLI&NR=1

    or this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=U1P_Nfj_ozo&feature=fvwp

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from other bloggers (especially teachers!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...